Friday, August 12, 2011

Class Reunions



I had to decline my 5oth high school reunion. I know you're all thinking---that can't be so--trust me, it is so. Living in CA and the costs of travel and other commitments we had to say no. (Keith's reunion was the same weekend) I so wish I could be a "fly on the wall".
It seems like yesterday we celebrated our 25Th. So much had went into the prep. I was living in Lansing at the time---and trying to figure out if I started my diet in June would I "make it" by the date of the reunion. It was at "Boyne Apple Mountain" and I recall climbing a hill with "classmates" to have our picture taken. I tried to be cool in heels that were sticking into the soft earth and praying silently I didn't fall down. The days of having people laugh were not pressuring me anymore. I do recall in school, Miss Penty (English teacher at St. Andrew's"), telling me she saw nothing funny about me. I had stood up in front of class to give a required speech. For some reason---honest, I do not know, the class laughed at me and she promptly sent me back to my seat. I acted cool and nonchalant about it---but I was dying. Not giving the speech was going to cost me. There are many stories---and they play back in my mind when these reunions roll around. But back to the 25Th. Everyone was cheerful and huggy and proclaiming, "...you look the same," but quietly rejoicing they had their senior picture pinned on them. I also recall paying more for my bra than I did for my dress. (this day and age, I just pray I can keep a bra on for the length of time I need to.)
Keith and I moved west in 1990, but I do remember seeing a classmate, Dick Taylor, at a GM Christmas party. Our eyes had caught each other and I was itching for the speaker to be done so I could see him. He was always in my homeroom and I would consider him a good friend. He always smelled good, wearing "Old Spice", and I remember once in school he and a Zilwaukee buddie told me that they had a 400 bowling game over the weekend. I wanted to appear I knew sports :) so I fussed how great they were. Finally they blew my knowledge of the game, by saying, "...a perfect game can only be 300" than they laughed. Seems I was always making people laugh...but back to GM. The speech had ended and I started out to meet with Dick, gave him a big hug and began talking about families etc. As he was speaking I noted something beige around my waist. That was a riddle since I had a "holiday" dark, skirt on. I looked down and to my horror, my pretty holiday skirt was nearly on the floor. Seems the tiny hook and eye didn't hold. I did the only thing I could, bent down, picked up my skirt and re-fastened it. As I did, Dick said, "Georgia, you 'll never change." you know---maybe he's right. I MAKE PEOPLE LAUGH---but just saying, "all happiness isn't measured by smiles".

'61 will never die...please raise a glass to me---and see you at our 60th!!!!!

No comments: